What we offer:
- Doctorate in Global Health, possibly with a field study abroad
- Structured curriculum to develop research skills in the area of Global Health
- Monthly scholarship of 1000€ over 12 months
- Opportunity to exchange experiences with international students of the Institute of Global Health
- Full integration into a research group
- Participation in scientific conferences
- Excursions and thematic events
What we expect:
- Completion of the preliminary medical examination (“Physikum”)
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Commitment to pursue a doctoral degree at the Medical Faculty of Heidelberg (Dr. med. / Dr. med. dent.)
- Willingness to invest at least 12 months into the doctorate
- For currently enrolled medical students, submission of thesis before the start of the clinical residency (Praktisches Jahr)
- Submit your application online as ONE PDF file containing:
- Decision of the selection committee
- Depending on quality and amount of applications, you may be invited to a 30-minute interview.
- We accept applications on a rolling basis.
- Selection is done three times per year (February, June and October).
- Rejected candidates have the right for one re-application.
Boardapl. Prof. Dr. Volker Winkler, Coordinator
Dr. Florian Neuhann
Dr. Claudia Denkinger
Head of Division of Tropical Medicine, Heidelberg University Hospital
Prof. Dr. Joachim Szecsenyi, PD Dr. med. Svetla Loukanova
Abteilung Allgemeinmedizin und Versorgungsforschung
Prof. Dr. Eric Comte
Institute of Global Health, Director Geneva Health Forum, University of Geneva
Prof. Dr. Dr. Sabine Gabrysch
Head, Research Department 2, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research
Institute of Public Health, Charité – Berlin University of Medicine
The Medical Faculty at Heidelberg University has been at the forefront of Global Health in Germany by integrating different aspects of global health in research and teaching at the Institute of Global Health for over 50 years now. The prestigious Alexander von Humbold Professorship in Global Health has further strengthened the global health research at the Medical Faculty. The Heidelberg Graduate School of Global Health offered by the Institute of Global Health and funded by the Else Kröner-Fresenius-Stiftung aims to provide medical students with an opportunity to engage in global health research. Embedded in the MEDISS Programme (Medical Structured Scientific Programme) of the Medical Faculty, the Graduate School offers a structured curriculum, interdisciplinary exchange and a wide range of cooperation partners for developing a high quality doctoral thesis.
The Heidelberg Graduate School of Global Health is positioned at the Institute of Global Health within the Medical Faculty. The
coordination team consists of five people and is chaired by the speaker. It will decide
on scientific and administrative developments, e.g. the curriculum, allocation
of travel funds. The coordinator and his administrative team will deal with day-to-day business. He is also part of the coordination team. The other three members of the team are two scientists and a student
representative. They will be elected during the yearly plenary meeting. The coordination team also constitutes the selection committee which will decide about the scholarships.